Table of Contents
- 1 What are the roles that a medical assistant fill when assisting with a surgical procedure?
- 2 How do patients prepare for surgery?
- 3 What 3 items must be considered when scheduling appointments?
- 4 What is major surgery vs minor surgery?
- 5 What kind of medical problems are usually given the same day appointment?
- 6 How should the MA handle a patient who comes to the office without an appointment?
What are the roles that a medical assistant fill when assisting with a surgical procedure?
- Take patient medical histories.
- Update patient medical records.
- Talk to patients about procedures or tests.
- Prepare patients for exams.
- Help the physician with tasks.
- Take lab specimens.
- Perform lab tests.
When scheduling an inpatient surgical procedure the assistant must?
when scheduling an inpatient surgical procedure, the medical assistant should call the hospital —– department to make arrangements for the patient to enter the facility and stay after surgery. the simplest and most popular filing method is the —– filing system.
What are the responsibilities of the medical assistant when assisting in minor office surgery?
Additional responsibilities of the medical assistant include preparing the treatment room, preparing the patient, preparing the minor surgery tray, assisting the physician during the procedure, administering postoperative care to the patient, and cleaning the treatment room after the procedure.
How do patients prepare for surgery?
Preparing for Surgery
- Stop drinking and eating for a certain period of time before the time of surgery.
- Bathe or clean, and possibly shave the area to be operated on.
- Undergo various blood tests, X-rays, electrocardiograms, or other procedures necessary for surgery.
What are the roles and responsibilities of a medical assistant?
Taking medical histories.
What role would a medical assistant play in assisting with diagnostic procedures and patient education?
Medical Assistants are responsible for performing basic diagnostic procedures. This can include tasks such as measuring blood pressure, pulse, temperature, and height & weight measurements.
What 3 items must be considered when scheduling appointments?
Test Chapter 10-17-18
|Upcoding||means selectiing a code that contains elements not mentioned in the medical documentation|
|What three items should be considered wehn scheduling appointments?||1. The physician’s habits and desires, 2. Patient need, 3. Available facilities|
Which patient information would the medical assistant provide when scheduling a patient’s surgery?
|Which patient information would the medical assistant provide when scheduling a patients surgery?||Diagnosis and insurance information|
|What is the common abbreviation for a complete physical examination?||CPE|
What is minor office surgery?
What are minor office procedures? Minor surgical procedures are minimally invasive surgical procedures that don’t require general anesthesia or a complete surgical environment. Minor surgical procedures don’t take long to complete and have short recovery periods.
What is major surgery vs minor surgery?
Surgical procedures are used to repair damage within the body or remove diseased tissues that are affecting a person’s health and quality of life….Major Surgery vs Minor Surgery.
|Major Surgery||Minor Surgery|
|Cause damage to the tissues||No extensive damage to the tissues|
What are some ways to identify a patient?
Patient identifier options include:
- Assigned identification number (e.g., medical record number)
- Date of birth.
- Phone number.
- Social security number.
What are the three things you should always ask a patient before surgery?
Will I need them at home? In your opinion, how will this surgery affect my other health problems, such as diabetes or high blood pressure? After I leave the hospital, what type of care do you think I will need? What happens if things go wrong after surgery?
What kind of medical problems are usually given the same day appointment?
Identify eight types of medical problems for which patients would usually be given a same day appointment. 1. Wounds without fracture or dislocation 2. Sprains and Strains 3. Nausea, vomiting or diarrhea that has lasted for more than 2 or 3 days
How to schedule an appointment in the ER?
Open booking No scheduled appointment but are given a time range patients seen in order of arrival, ER patients seen first Patient self-scheduling Allow patients to request routine appointment from the practice website Clustering ( categorization) Involves scheduling patients with similar problems conditions into groups
How to schedule an appointment for a new patient?
– Specific information needs to be obtained when scheduling an appointment for a new patient. – Ask patient’s full name and daytime telephone number, reason for visit ( sick visit, physical examination, diagnostic procedure) – Referral by physician, insurance company
How should the MA handle a patient who comes to the office without an appointment?
How should the MA handle a patient who comes to the office without an appointment? – If the patient is experiencing an emergency/ Urgent problem the MD may ask the MA to work the patient into the schedule. – Tactfully information the patient of the medical office policy with respect to scheduling appointment